Addiction, in any form, such as drug addiction, is basically a medical disorder. Getting clean from this on your own is indeed ridiculously hard. There are just a handful of realities more tragic, like the devastating impacts that drug addiction is likely to have on families, people, and communities. Here you should count on professional treatment, and needing their assistance does not indicate that you are a failure. This just means that you are addicted to drugs, and this is entirely treatable. Without much delay, all you need to do is find a rehab center near you.
Understanding the Addiction Severity
When your drug use negatively impacts your relationships and life, you will likely have an addiction. This addiction is diagnosed based on a spectrum. The addiction criteria can help determine whether your addiction is severe, moderate, or mild. There are eleven criteria such as,
- Worsening situations.
- Dangerous use.
- Loss of interest.
- Problems with relationships.
- Lack of responsibility.
- Spend enough time in getting the substance.
- Unable to quit despite the desire.
- Lack of control.
The severity of your drug addiction will be determined by the number of criteria you meet. For instance, if you have three to four of these criteria, you have a mild drug use disorder. But despite the diagnosis being mild, you still need help to become sober.
Signs that you Need Drug Addiction Treatment
- A decline in Mental and Physical Health- When you consume drugs regularly, this is likely to affect your mind and body. Physically, various substances possess different effects; some cause malnourishment and severe weight loss, while others result in the risk of seizures or chest pain. The bottom line is that if there is deterioration in your health with constant drug use, you need treatment. Besides, mental health problems and drug use go hand in hand. Often people that have mental health disorders take drugs as a coping mechanism. Drugs have a damaging impact on the brain, especially during the development stage. Using drugs to cope with depression or anxiety may cause a downward spiral as this will deplete one’s ability to feel good without them. So those who are struggling with drug use and mental health that is co-occurring, it is time you seek treatment.
- Withdrawal Symptoms- Withdrawal symptoms may be emotional, mental, psychological, or physical. Of these, the most common is physical withdrawal. Here detox is essential. Some common physical withdrawal symptoms include strong opiate cravings, anxiety, agitation, depression, muscle cramping, and nausea.
- Negative Impact on Relationships- When a person’s life starts to revolve around drugs, they will automatically begin to neglect relationships. Some may also get isolated due to constant drug use. The moment one begins to spend less time with friends and family, they will experience a challenging time to support them through a hard time. Relatives and old friends may have maintained a distance after being hurt by the addict’s actions. It is here where drug addiction treatment from a renowned institute is a must, such as Maine inpatient drug rehab. The experts here can help in building meaningful bonds with their friends on recovery. They will work hard in strengthening the family connection, where parents and siblings will be there in a connected and supportive way in the upcoming future.
- Effect on Performance- Often, people start to prioritize the use of drugs over their job responsibilities or homework. They find themselves shrugging off things that they were supposed to do in getting high. These people may stop doing hobbies and sports which they loved. When they face all of this or, for that matter, only one of these, it indicates that their drug use has turned unhealthy. Making any form of vital change in their life will be tough, and drug addiction is difficult to handle alone. This indicates the need for professional support networks and programs that can help them make lasting changes.
- Dishonest about Drug Use- The moment one notices that they are lying to dear ones about their drug use, they are ashamed of it. Often, they may also make excuses and lie to themselves. No matter what, if they begin to hide something regarding their drug use, they are slipping into addiction. Here seeking professional drug treatment as soon as possible is suggested.
- Control Over Drug Use- The mindset of a drug addict will go into the maintenance mode eventually. They will plan on taking just enough drugs to maintain and do not fall sick due to withdrawal yet use a lot and get up terrified the next morning as they have nothing left. Panic sets in at this point, and their decision-making gets skewed to rationalize every form of behavior to get the drugs or money they require. This calls for professional assistance.
So, the moment one can relate to any of these signs of addiction, it is time to seek drug addiction treatment. Nothing is more vital than one’s well-being and health. If you or any of your loved ones need drug addiction treatment, consult with a specialist at the earliest.