Vitamins serve no beneficial purpose, according to three studies released December 16th, and published in the medical journal Annals of Internal Medicine. All three studies come to the similar conclusion that vitamins do not prevent chronic illness or disease and sometimes actually cause harm!
What many experts are now saying is that the American population is most-definitely malnourished, and vitamin and mineral deficiencies should not be taken lightly. However, we should be addressing these issues through better nutrition and not through vitamin supplementation.
Some important notes:
- Folic acid and Vitamin B supplements could potentially be harmful to the general population. (However, folic acid supplementation should not be avoided in the case of pregnancy!)
- Beta-carotene supplementation increases smokers and asbestos workers’ risk of developing lung and gastric cancer.
- Vitamin E (Omega 3) increases the risk for prostate cancer.
- Vitamin D still may still be beneficial, but further studies need to be done.
- For more information on supplements, check out Monica’s Health Mag
Time to get familiar with the produce aisle and your local farmer’s market!