You may use an electric grill or a gas grill, but you must keep it covered when it is not in use. This will enhance its life and performance.
- This will not allow the insects and rodents do not make their homes in it and also to prevent dust, dirt, leaves and twigs falling and accumulating in it.
- Another benefit of using grill covers is that it will keep it looking new and functional, ready for you to cook up the dish you want during a special occasion.
Irrespective of the type of grill you use, you can use vinyl to make a cover for it. This fabric is just right to protect your grill because of its properties. It is smooth on the surface. This means that it will repel water as well as other weather elements such as snow, hail and sleet on the outside.
Choose a big size rectangular piece to sew it just like you sew an oilcloth following these useful tips:
- Use a denim needle of size 16 and any standard cotton or poly thread
- Cut the fabric according to the measurement leaving an inch on each side using pinking shears so that the edges are not frayed
- Finish the boundaries just as you would do usually using a long and straight stitch all through except at the curves and corners.
Just make sure that you take your measurements accurately from the ground to top with seam allowance.
Covers made from tarp
You can even make a grill cover from a standard tarp. It is an easy and cheap alternative. You will need a few specific stuffs for that which is the first important step. You will need:
- Large and heavy-duty tarp
- Duct tape and
- Bungee ties.
The next step is to measure and cut the tarp. This is also a simple process. All you have to do is lay the tarp on the grill, fold it at the corners and cut the excess material off. Use the duct tape to secure the seams. You can also use an iron to press the seams as well.
Flip the tarp inside out for working on the desired cosmetics. You can either thread a tie-down to secure the cover on the grill or even use a Velcro. However, the Velcro may get brittle and break off if you open and close it too often. The best way to go ahead is to open one end of the bungee and thread it through the metal grommets. Finish it off by tying off the ends. This cover will last for several years.
Buy custom barbeque covers
If you do not want to go into the hassles of measuring, cutting and sewing to make your grill cover, you can take the easy route: buy a custom barbeque cover.
The benefits that you will enjoy include:
- Snug fit
- Durable and high-quality material
- Better aesthetics and
- Added features.
These types of covers are easy to maintain and provide total protection. Now, it is up to you to choose your grill cover.