Why should use a breast pump
An electric breast pump refers to that machines that breastfeeding mothers use to suck out milk from their breasts for various reasons:
- Wish to store the milk for later use especially when the mom is away from home, and the baby needs to be fed.
- When milk has been pumped out of the breasts, some hormones stimulate the production of more milk, and this may be the sole aim; to stimulate producing more for the baby to have enough.
- Some babies are born premature and may not be able to suck directly from their mother’s breasts. Pumping will help so that the baby can be manually fed.
How To Use An Electric Breast Pump
Before using a breast pump, ensure that it is clean to prevent infections to the baby through contamination. First of all, clean the breast pump and keep it in a clean, dry place meant for the baby in the house accessories cabinet.
Wash your hands to ensure it’s free from germs.
The next session is the steps on how to use the breast pump.
- Before operating it, ensure that you read the entire manual and understand it. In case of any clarification, contact the manufacturers whereby the contacts are always displayed on the manual for any enquiries.
- Re-confirm that your hands and the pump itself are clean. Hygiene is very vital for a young child because he is likely to be infected even when the germs may seem immeasurable.
- When Moms think about their babies with a relaxed mind and positivity, the mind releases hormones which stimulate milk production. In this case, think of the good things about your baby and be ready to pump. The milk will quickly come out. Ensure that the place you set for the breastfeeding if a relaxed environment to avoid any stress.
- The pump has assembled breast shields which you should place them on each breast and ensure you are comfortable. Make sure they are comfortable fixed on the nipples to avoid damage while sucking. Confirm that the bottles are in place.
- Connect the machine to the socket available which should have an electric shock absorber and put it on. This will immediately start off to pump the milk.
- It takes roughly two minutes for the milk to be pumped until it reaches a point of self-regulating the speed. The speed to which you are pumping should make you comfortable and relaxed. It should just behave like a child sucking but with a higher speed.
- Keep relaxed as much as possible. The best thing is to do what you know best while relaxing such as Facebooking, checking emails, bidding for online jobs and so on. This will make you stress-free and bless your baby mentally which will further increase milk production.
- If you feel the breasts are lighter, it means that the milk has reduced and as such remove switch off the machine and remove breast shield from your nipples.
- Disconnect the bottles from the pump for storage. Ensure that any edges of the bottles that touched your breasts while pumping have been cleaned.
- Store the milk in a refrigerator. This can be kept for up to five days according to pediatrics advice. However, milk can still be kept at room temperature for up to six hours, at this time, it is safe enough for consumption.
- Finally, wash the breast pump using a soapy water rinse it thoroughly and store it safely for future use. Ensure that it is clean and dry before storage to avoid the formation of substances such as coatings and molds which can cause severe effects on the baby.
Read more information about healthy baby