Happy National Tequila Day! I bet you didn’t even know that day existed, but it does and it is today! So take a shot with ones you love, or spice things up a bit more with this tequila cocktail I came up with last week. It’s delicious and is makes a great nonalcoholic spritzer for non-drinkers and kids if you just omit the tequila… but unless you’re one of the two groups listed, you should definitely celebrate the day and keep that tequila in the recipe!
Watermelon Blackberry Lavender Tequila Fresca with Lime
Start off making the simple syrup:
- 1 heaping cup of blackberries
- 3 cups chopped watermelon
- 3 sprigs fresh culinary lavender
- 1 cup sugar (we have also used 1 cup honey with good results)
- 1 cup water
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat. Allow for liquids to start to boil, then lower to a simmer.
- Let simmer for about 20 minutes or until all the blackberries have liquified.
- (Note: Watermelon will not liquify/soften completely on its own. You can use a potato masher if you want, but we feel it is unnecessary as the flavors will have infused into the syrup with or without the pulp/fibrious parts of the melon being pureed.)
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Take a mesh strainer and strain syrup into a storage container. (Discard fibrous strained leftovers.)
- Cover and refrigerate. (This will last up to a week in a sealed container.)
Now it’s time to assemble the drink.
- Overfill a glass with crushed ice (if you’re lazy, you can use regular ice).
- Add 1 ounce tequila.
- Add 2 ounces cooled (preferably chilled) watermelon blackberry lavender simple syrup.
- Add 5 ounces soda water (some people prefer tonic water or Sprite. Both work well, too).
- Top off with 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice.
- Garnish with fresh sprigs of lavender.