By Jamie (Photography by Chariya Leeds)
Mardi Gras, which means “Fat Tuesday” in French, is often thought of as a party consisting of drunken debauchery. However, many people do not know that the Mardi Gras season begins on Epiphany (which is observed on January 6th). The period between Epiphany and Ash Wednesday is known as Carnival. Fat Tuesday is the day before Ash Wednesday, which leads observers into 40 days of Lent.
In honor of Mardi Gras we are making Fat Tuesday non-alcoholic cocktails using one of my favorite Ethiopian smoothie recipes.
- 2-3 Avocados,sliced
- 6 oz blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup chopped mangoes (fresh or frozen)
- 6 tablespoons honey
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup of water
- Colored sugar (Optional, but if you do use it, we suggest purchasing a natural brand like India Tree All Natural Decorating Sugars.)
(If using colored sugar, dip the rim of the glass in water then in colored sugar, first.)
- In a blender, add avocado, 1-2 tablespoon honey, lime juice, and 1 ounce water. Blend until smooth, adding water until it is able to be poured, but not watery.
- Pour first layer into a glass.
- Blend blueberries, 1 ounce water, and a touch of honey. If using fresh blueberries, blend with ice to thicken.
- Pour second layer.
- Blend mangoes, 1 ounce water, and a touch of honey.
- Pour on top layer!