As a mom, you know that keeping your family safe and healthy is your top priority. But did you know that the EPA ranks indoor air pollution as one of the top five environmental health risks? And carpets are often a breeding ground for dust mites, mold, and other allergens that can trigger asthma and other respiratory problems. That’s why it’s so important to keep your carpets clean – but it doesn’t have to be expensive.
Here are a few tips on how to save money on carpet cleaning services:
1. Schedule a deep clean at least once a year. This will remove all the dirt, dust, and allergens that have built up over time – and it will extend the life of your carpets.
2. Follow the soap-to-water rule. Carpeting should be clean with soap and water, not just soap. Even if your carpet says that it’s clean, there is a lot more hidden in your carpets than what can be seen. The soap to water rule means adding 3 to 5 ounces of a cleaning detergent to every gallon of lukewarm water you use to clean your carpets. And when you’re done, rinse the carpets with clear water – don’t just blot them dry with towels or throw the towels over them for the carpet cleaner to pick up later.
3. Book early for spring and summer breaks. Most college students don’t have much money to spend on cleaning, so early appointments can save you both time and money.
4. Do your vacuuming or upholstery cleaning. If you have a large family or a busy schedule, you may not have enough time to vacuum your carpets frequently to keep them clean. But with an upholstery attachment, it’s easy to sweep all of the dirt, dust, and allergens right out of your upholstered furniture!
5. Don’t be afraid of professional rug cleaning services. If you’re worried about allergens, look at the professional rug cleaning services that use air blowers to remove the dust and dirt. Professional rug cleaning services also clean carpets with more than just water, which is all you need to do with the soap-to-water rule.
6. Organize your furniture. One of the best ways to clean up a cluttered house is by organizing your furniture and household items, including paper scraps and spills in closets and drawers, to see them all at once when cleaning your carpets. This will prevent a lot of messes from happening between deep cleans!
7. Clean carpet stains as soon as possible with a stain remover solution. It’s easy to clean carpet stains with a stain remover that you can buy at any grocery store. Apply directly to the color, wait 10 minutes and blot up.
8. Get rid of carpet stains with vinegar or rubbing alcohol. When using vinegar or rubbing alcohol, it’s important to absorb as much moisture as possible by blotting the areas with paper towels, applying the mixture, and waiting 20 minutes before staining again. When using either vinegar or rubbing alcohol, be careful of natural fibers because they can discolor them if left too long.
9. Try a carpet shampooer or steam cleaner. Some carpet shampoos and steam cleaners can be used regularly on an as-needed basis, but they’re a lot more expensive than cleaning your carpet with soap and water. But if you want to remove stains and odors, it’s a good idea to use them occasionally.
10. Clean your upholstery regularly with seat savers or wool dryer balls. Regular vacuuming using upholstery attachments on your vacuum will keep upholstered furniture clean and free of pet hair.
11. Make your cleaning solution using baking soda and water with a spray bottle. Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with 10 ounces of water, and use it to wipe down your furniture.
12. Clean up after pets by vacuum-cleaning your carpets. Pets can leave a mess of hair behind that you’ll need to clean up after them! Regular vacuuming will prevent this from becoming a problem, but call the professionals for pet-hair removal services if you want to make sure that it’s done right.
13. Don’t forget about hardwood floors! Hardwood floors are also susceptible to moisture buildup, so clean them every three months for optimal performance and beauty.
In conclusion, following these tips will help you save money on carpet cleaning services. Schedule a deep clean once a year, get a stain treatment when necessary, and vacuum regularly; you can keep your carpets looking and feeling like new without breaking the bank.