Homemade strawberry milk is one of our favorite treats to serve on Valentine’s Day. This version can be made dairy and processed sugar-free. One of our boys has a slight lactose intolerance and absolutely loves the almond milk version. However, if you are up for doing dairy, definitely try it with the heavy whipping cream for an extra special treat.
- 2lbs of strawberries, sliced (we like using fresh, but frozen works, too)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup organic sugar, honey, or natural sugar substitute
- 3 cups organic whole milk or non-dairy substitute
- 1 half pint heavy whipping cream (optional)
- In a medium saucepan on medium heat, combine strawberries, water, and sugar (if using granulated sugar). Bring to a boil and stir occasionally.
- After about 10 minutes, add in honey (if using) as well as lemon juice. Let simmer for another few minutes until mixture has slightly reduced and thickened.
- Using a strainer or fine sieve, strain mixture into a bowl and place in refrigerator to cool. (FYI: Do not discard the leftover cooked strawberry mixture. It can be saved for another use. Our favorite is adding it to Greek yogurt.)
- Once strawberry syrup mixture has cooled, pour heavy whipping cream (if using) into blender and pulse until slightly thickened (about 10-20 seconds). Add in whole milk (or milk substitute) to blender and pulse for another 10-20 seconds until frothy.
- Once milk is frothy, add in strawberry syrup mixture and pulse for another few seconds until completely combined.
- Pour into chilled glasses and enjoy!