Everyone wants a beautiful healthy smile. A great smile can make a person appear younger, healthier, and more confident.
However, smiles are not created equal. While some have a natural, stunning smile, others need the help of certain procedures or orthodontics. The ideal smile is characterized by straight and pearly white teeth, pink coloured gums, functional jaw joints, and aligned bite.
Luckily, there are a lot of things you can do to improve your teeth:
- Floss After Each Meal – Aside from brushing your teeth, flossing helps remove food particles stuck between the teeth, and plaque building under the gumlines, preventing tooth decay and gum disease. To floss properly, simply wrap the floss thread around your finger. Gently insert the thread between your teeth and slide it up and down under the gumlines.
- Visit a Dental Hygienist Every Six Months – Regular teeth cleaning ensures optimal oral health and a beautiful smile by removing the stain, plaque, and tartar. In addition to removing tartar and stain, the dental hygienist can also help detect serious health conditions, such as oral cancer.
- Stop Smoking – Smoking can cause teeth stains. While stain can be superficial, long-term smoking causes the stain to soak deep into the enamel, making it extremely difficult to remove. Furthermore, it can also damage your gums. Smoking causes the gums to recede and develop large pockets around the teeth, creating dark spaces between teeth.
- Seeing a Cosmetic Dentist – With people’s growing need to have a healthy, radiant smile, cosmetic dentistry is becoming more popular than ever. Cosmetic dentists specialize in improving the look of your smile using state-of-the-art tools and the most current in dental cosmetic techniques, including:
- Teeth Whitening – To remove the stain from the surface of your teeth, the dentist may recommend an in-office whitening treatment or custom whitening trays and gels which can be done at home.
- Veneers – Veneers are custom shells designed to cover the fronts of your teeth, hiding all the visible defects of your teeth and giving you a Hollywood Smile. Dentists who know the secrets of natural looking veneers can effectively help correct abnormal shape, size, or asymmetry of your teeth without the need for extensive dental improvement. Veneers can be made of porcelain or composite materials.
- Crowns – Like porcelain veneers, crowns are strong and can last longer if given the proper care. What sets crowns apart from veneers is that crowns are full-coverage as they encase the whole tooth surface, not just to cover the front of the tooth.
- Alignment – Veneers and crowns can address minor alignment issues, but they do not address the underlying issue, only the appearance of the teeth. On the other hand, you can check braces and Invisalign in Toronto to help correct the natural alignment of your teeth, while improving gum health and preventing clenching, grinding, and TMJ.
If you have a dental emergency, go to your nearest Emergency Dentist in Sarnia for treatment. And if you want a smile that you can show off, make sure to visit a trusted dental office in Toronto and talk to a licensed cosmetic dentist in Toronto, like the Galloro Dental Group. Incorporating cosmetic dentistry with good dental habits can give you the best smile possible.