Oh, fossils…you never cease to fascinate me. Luckily, my kids are equally enamored with the petrified remains.
One of our lessons has been on the different types of fossils. We first watched this awesome episode of Bill Nye:
Then, we started our sea shell mold fossil shadow box.
Here is what you will need:
- Sea Shells
- Air-Dry Clay
- A Shadow Box
- Glitter in various colors
- Pack clay into the shadow box so that it is thick enough that you’ll be able to make an impression in it, but thin enough to stay pressed against the wall of the box.
- Press sea shells into the clay and immediately remove them. Make various designs with different textured shells.
- Cover with a layer of glitter and allow to dry for 2-3 days.
- After 2 days (or when the clay has dried), take a brush and “excavate” the fossil molds.
- Hang up and enjoy!