“Reading gives us some place to go when we have to stay where we are” says, Mason Cooley.
Whether you have a closet full of books, love reading them on the kindle, or prefer audiobooks while cooking or doing other bring chores, the format doesn’t matter… reading does. Reading opens a whole new world of imagination. A voracious reader may love all three formats or prefer one, basis on the situation. He could be relaxing while listening to an audiobook on his headphones with stacked books next to him or reading a kindle while traveling but keeps a paperback in his bag. No matter which path you take, the destination is all the same. Books are books! But the cold war will always be on!
Let’s take a look at all the three formats in detail before we choose a winner:
- Audibooks are for you if:
- You drive long distance to work and often miss out on the reading because you are stuck in traffic. Sometimes our lifestyle doesn’t let us read enough, leaving us frustrated. If you have created a solid reading list for the year, then audiobooks are for you. Listen to them on the headphones or put them on loud while driving… audiobooks are fun and entertaining. But you still have to pay attention and it’s not advisable to play audiobooks while working out, doing electric work or studying. You will lose the focus!
- You have picked up a classic with difficult words, dialects and accents. For example: The Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess is a cult novel and a dialect that was first of its kind. If you are planning to read such English classics, simply tune in the audiobooks. It will spare you the efforts.
- Want to enjoy plays in the form of an audio. Listening to an audio play is much better than reading, don’t we all agree? It is more dramatic and gives the feeling of an actual play being narrated. So, sit back, relax and enjoy the classic Shakespeare plays on your audibook. But if you are planning to read graphic novels, there’s nothing like an old-school physical book. Not having graphics is the biggest disadvantage of an audiobook.
- Amazon Audible has largest number of audiobook titles. Audible works on a monthly credit subscription.
- Kindle is for you if:
- You are travelling and want to read more than one book. A kindle can save up to thousands of books in the system and you can pick and choose from the never ending list. You are like a kid in a candy store if you own a kindle. Right from the classics to the latest bestsellers, a kindle has it all.
- You want to read big books in a comfortable position. You can hold a kindle in one hand while the other is relaxed. You can also get a holder and change the page with just a touch. Whether you are a big fan of the gadgets or not, anybody can manage to read from a kindle. It’s user friendly and suitable for all ages and personalities. Best suited for the lazy ones who like to read in their bed all day! Aah…. So blissful and satisfying! And, you don’t even need to charge them that often.
A tablift lets you read hands-free adding comfort to your reading time.
- You want to read books with smaller fonts and have weak eyes. Imagine how uncomfortable it is to read books whose fonts look smaller than ants. You will get frustrated and end up closing the book even before you reach the first chapter. A kindle lets you adjust the font up to your comfort.
- Don’t have a lesser attention span. However, if you get distracted easily with the social media notifications or are eager to watch the next episode on Netflix, then e-books are not for you. Get a physical book!
- A physical book is for you if:
- You are a person who loves to have their own little collection. If you are someone who fancies a library and stock up books for the next generation, then there’s nothing like a physical book.
- If you are someone who loves to own a bookmark collection and always hated the dog ears, then you are a true book lover.
Src: Chronicle Book
Nobody should be allowed to fold the pages while reading a physical book.
- If you are old-fashioned and still love visiting bookstores, then physical books are for you. If you are someone who spends hours and hours in a bookstore, trying to figure out your next read… hold on to these habits and pass them on to your kids as well.
- You like to smell and feel the pages. If you are someone who loves the smell of a new book or like to flip the rustic pages of an old one, you must be a book person. You will not get the joy of smelling pages in any other format.
- You are not a devil!
After doing a complete analysis of all three platforms, it is clearly visible that all that matters is you read… whichever the format be. Your choice doesn’t make you an old fashioned reader nor a gadget freak, you are just a true book lover!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: NISHIL PRASAD
I’m passionate writer at Speakaudible, hunger for new innovation & new trends has filled me with tons of enthusiasm to uncover hidden topics. I write because I love it.