92% of first-time campers admitted that they would be “very likely” or “likely” to engage in another camping trip. But what about the remaining 8%? Either they are just not the “outdoor” type, or they may have experienced something unpleasant during their trip.
To make sure that you get to fully enjoy the experience, here are four things you need to avoid. See more on outdoorfunmag.com
Mistake #1: Setting Out Without Researching the Location and Conditions
Whether you’re going to public campgrounds or a private camping site, first check the location, weather, and the available facilities. Though spontaneity may somehow work for other activities, it’s not the case for camping.
Researching the campsite’s location helps campers pick the best route and estimate the time of arrival. It would also significantly lessen the chances of getting lost and wasting too much time and effort on the road. Additionally, if you prefer to go on a luxury private camping trip, make sure to inquire about the available glamping campsites to check the facilities you might need.
Campers also need to check the weather forecast to prevent being caught up in severe weather conditions during the first camping trip.
Mistake #2: Not Testing the Camping Gear Before Hitting the Road
Nothing is worse than arriving on a campsite with a damaged tent or broken gear. Campers need to learn how to use camping gear and ensure that every piece of equipment is in good working condition before leaving the house.
You can try putting up the tent at least once in your yard to gain some practice. Check the structure for any broken parts and fix them before going to the site.
Mistake #3: Spending Too Little or Too Much on Camping Gears
It may be tempting to buy cheap items, especially for first-time campers. Second-rate equipment may be usable for a few times, but they might not last for long.
While campers do not have to splurge on expensive camping brands, purchasing high-quality camping gear will suffice. It’s also best to pick equipment that comes with a decent after-sales guarantee. You will also save money and time down the line.
However, though it’s wise to pick the best quality gear possible, the whole affair might become impractical if campers have to spend too much. It may be thrilling for first-time campers to own all sorts of camping gadgets, but make sure to bring only those that are vital and useful for the trip.
Mistake #4: Arriving Late at the Campground
You should turn up early at the campsite to familiarize yourself with the surroundings and its rules. Arriving late might prove to be stressful, especially for campers who are going to a public campground. You might have to go around the campsite in search of available space to pitch your tent before it turns dark.
Camping is an outdoor recreational activity that can promote relaxation and enjoyment. However, campers may not find it enjoyable, perhaps even frustrating, if you go out without beingprepared.