I have hormonal migraines monthly. I cannot relieve them with oral medication alone. This past year I’ve received invaluable migraine treatment information from a neurologist, a holistic doctor, and the Beverly Hills Mom.
Here are my secrets for migraine relief:
- Immediately take Advil Liquid Gelcaps with a can of Coke Zero. *It must be the brand Advil in gelcap form. Other Ibuprofen medication is composed of the same ingredients, but is less effective on migraines. *Coke Zero is preferred, but Diet Coke can be used too. Regular Coke, coffee, or any other caffeinated beverage is not effective in this cocktail. Must be in a can.
- Do not massage the area! (This includes the originating pain region and surrounding areas- neck, shoulder, face) It will inflame the area and actually make your headache worse.
- Instead, lightly apply pure lavender essential oil to headache region– temples, and under nose.
- Ice the originating region. Eight minutes on/off until the headache improves or goes away completely.
- Take a bath with Epsom Salts and Lavender essential oil. Submerge the headache region in water.
- (bonus tip) Sit Up! Avoid lying down if possible (except when doing the water treatment.) This can actually make your headache worse and prolong it, as you are disrupting desired blood flow to your head.