We were inspired to make some chocolate covered frozen banana penguins thanks to an idea we got from “Adventures of Our Crazy Life” blog. Here is the recipe for our version of this REALLY EASY and fun treat.
- Mini Bananas
- Dark Chocolate (to melt and dip)
- Mini white chocolate chips
- M&Ms (we used the knock-off organic kind)
- Mini marshmallows
- Peel bananas and cut off bottoms so they are flat. Freeze. (This should take about an hour.)
- Melt dark chocolate over a double boiler.
- In a second double boiler, melt a small amount of white chocolate. (This is optional, but a helpful light colored adhesive for the penguin parts.)
- Dip rounded top and sides of frozen bananas until they have been covered in chocolate.
- Place on a lined baking sheet and allow chocolate to start to harden.
- After all bananas have been dipped in chocolate, you may begin assembling the face of the penguin. We used the melted white chocolate to attach the mini white chocolate chip “eyes” to the penguins. We used a toothpick to apply small dots of melted dark chocolate to the center.
- We then cut the M&Ms in half for the feet and nose. We glued them with dark chocolate.
- finally we attached marshmallows as earmuffs, and a raspberry as a winter beanie. We attached (using white chocolate) a quarter of a mini marshmallow to the top of the raspberry for a pom pom at the top.
- We are some immediately and refroze the rest until the following day, when we polished them off. (These probably only keep for a day or two!)